Creating and Editing a Formula
The Data Browser enables you to use formulas (freeform expressions) to determine the values and filters of a widget. A rich variety of functions is provided for your use in formulas.
To create or edit a formula:
Open the formula editor in the Data Browser:
For a new widget, click Select Data, and then
For an existing widget, click the edit formula button
The Data Browser then changes to display the Formula Editor, which has two tabs: Data Browser and Functions.
* The Data Browser tab provides selectable fields.
* The Functions tab lists the functions that can be selected for your formula. Hovering over a function in the list displays a tooltip that describes that function.
- Compose the formula as follows:
- From the Data Browser tab, select one or more fields.
- From the Functions tab, select the required functions.
- Type in the required parts of the formula. To see examples, see Creating Formulas Based on Criteria and Conditions (Filters), and Introduction to Formulas.
- Click OK.
If you hover over a formula and right-click, you have the following options:
- Rename Renames the formula. For example, give it a name that represents a real-life task or expected result from the formula, or include in the name filters that you have added to the formula.
- Delete Deletes the formula item.
- Filter Adds filters to the formula.
- Type Changes the default aggregation method, for example, from Sum to Average.
The right-click options for a filtered formula are: