Embedding Dashboards and Widgets
Applicable to Sisense on Microsoft Windows
To learn about embedding dashboards and widgets in Linux, see Embedding Dashboards and Widgets.
You can embed Sisense dashboards and widgets in non-Sisense environments, such as in your own websites or applications, by concatenating parameters to the URL of your dashboard or widget. Embedding only the Data, Pulse or Admin tabs is not supported.
Sisense offers two embed modes:
- Edit mode: Users can edit the dashboard /widgets directly from the non-Sisense environment. Note that editing is allowed only for users who have permissions to edit Sisense in the regular Sisense environment. Viewer users will not be able to edit the dashboards and widgets, even in edit mode.
- View mode: All users can view the dashboards and widgets from the host environment. In addition, Designer users can resize dashboards, and they can also perform the actions available through the button of the dashboard/widget, such as duplicating and downloading dashboards, and renaming and deleting widgets.
Breaking Changes: From version 8.1, Designers will not be able to make any changes in view mode (including the changes listed above). In order for designers to make any changes to dashboards and widgets, the host environment will have to be configured to edit mode.
Designers can not make any changes in View mode (including the changes listed above). For Designers to make any changes to dashboards and widgets, the host environment will have to be configured to edit mode.
Note: To add the Embed Code option to your dashboard menu, your Administrator must enable it from the Admin page under Feature Management.
To generate a URL to embed Sisense:
- Click on the dashboard or wizard menu, and select Embed Code. The Embed Dashboard window is displayed.
- In Mode, select the desired embed mode, Edit or View.
- In Configuration, select the desired configurations.
- In Specify Base URL, indicate your base URL if you have a different base URL.
- Click Copy Code to copy the URL of HTML code. You can copy the URL code to paste into your HTML tag, or copy the HTML code to embed in an iFrame.
Embedding with URLs
You can embed Sisense dashboards and widgets in non-Sisense environments, such as in your own websites or applications, by concatenating parameters to the URL of your dashboard or widget.
To embed Sisense:
- Copy the URL of the dashboard. For a widget, click to open the widget in the Widget Designer, and copy the URL of the widget.
Add one of the following to the URL:
- To embed in view-only mode: add the ?embed=true parameter to the URL of the dashboard or widget.
- To embed in edit mode: add the ?embed=true&edit=true parameters to the URL of the dashboard or widget.
You can use this URL to embed the dashboard in an iFrame, for example:
<iframe id="ifm" name="ifm" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" src="http://mysite.com/app/main#/dashboards/536f2b70d093e26c280000d5?embed=true&edit=true" scrolling="auto"></iframe>
Dashboard within a Folder
If your dashboard is within a folder, then first delete ?folder= and everything that follows, before adding ?embed=true.
This will open the dashboard without the surrounding Sisense environment.
Dashboard URL for dashboard within folder:
Embedded URL for dashboard within folder:
Embedding Configuration Options
In the edit mode, the dashboard/widget appears by default with the panels opens. You can hide some (or all) panels to prevent users from making changes to these panels.
In the view mode, the dashboard/widget appears by default with the Filters panel open. You can hide this panel, or you can enable all users to view other panels, to see the selections made there.
You do that by adding the following parameters to the URL of the dashboard/widget following the main parameters ?embed=true or ?embed=true&edit=true. All the below parameters are optional.
|Parameter||In Dashboards||In Widgets|
&h=true / false
|Show/hide the environment header||Show/hide the environment header|
&t=true / false
|Show/hide the dashboard toolbar||Show/hide the widget toolbar|
&l=true / false
|Show/hide the Navigation Panel to the left||Show/hide the data panel to the left|
&r=true / false
|Show/hide the filter panel to the right||Show/hide the filter and design panel to the right|
For example, if you want to hide the Sisense header from the dashboard, you can add the ?embed=true&edit=true&h=false parameters to the URL of the dashboard to hide the header:
In this example, the embed=true embeds the dashboard into your environment in the view mode. The edit=true parameter allows the users with the appropriate permissions to edit Sisense in your environment. The h=false parameter hides the Sisense header, allowing you to whitelabel the dashboard.
Authentication in Embedded Dashboards and Widgets
All Sisense dashboards and widgets require authentication. When embedding dashboards and widgets outside of the Sisense environment, usually the use case is to not enforce the Sisense environment authentication, but rather use SSO (Single Sign On) with existing corporate authentication. To read more on configuring Single Sign On in Sisense, Introduction to SSO.