Migrating a Sisense Installation
This topic describes migrating a Sisense installation from one machine to another.
Backing up your installation is recommended before a migration process, but also on a regular basis for securing your data and Sisense configurations.
You may need to migrate your entire setup when moving from a staging/development environment to a production environment, when upgrading hardware, etc.
The migration process involves migrating both the Sisense application database and your ElastiCubes.
Additionally, if you are using plugins, you will need to replace the Plugins folder with your current plugins located at C:\Program Files\Sisense\PrismWeb\plugins.
The ElastiCube Server contains your ElastiCubes. To migrate ElastiCubes, you must export them as .ecdata files and import them into your new environment. If the data sources that support the ElastiCube are at a different location than they were on your original server, the ElastiCube’s connectivity settings must be updated.
To migrate your ElastiCubes:
- Declare downtime to avoid the loss of work during the process and stopping the IIS service. You can stop the IIS service by running the command iisreset /stop in the Command Prompt as an Administrator. Do not close the Command Prompt as you will need it in Step 3.
- Export and import your .ecdata files. See Importing and Exporting Elasticube Data for more information.
- In the Command Prompt, run the command iisreset /start to restart your IIS Server.
- If the database location was changed as well, modify the connectivity settings. See Change Connectivity Settings to learn how.
Sisense Web Application
To migrate your Sisense Web Application configuration, you must copy several directories from the current environment and migrate them to the new environment.
In addition, your Sisense application database has an identifier associated with it when you install Sisense. This identifier must be deleted when migrating Sisense as each database should have its own unique identifier. A new identifier will be generated in the environment the next time Sisense is opened. You can access the database through RoboMongo and remove the identifier as describe below.
To migrate the Sisense Web Application:
- Back up the old environment, open your machine’s Control Panel, and go to System and Security > Administrative Tools > Services, and stop the SisenseRepository service (this will make the website inaccessible).
- Create a copy of the entire Repository directory located at:
- Replace the existing Repository directory in the new environment with the one you backed up.
- Create a copy of the entire Discovery directory located at:
- Replace the existing Discovery directory in the new environment with the one you backed up.
- In Windows Services, start the SisenseRepository service and Sisense.Discovery service.
- Open Robomongo and connect to your application database with a WriteUser. For more information, see Accessing the Application Database.
- Under PrismWebDB, go to the servers collection and edit the file with address LocalHost.
- Remove the entire identity row including the value.
- Open Windows Services and restart the following services:
- Open the IIS Manager and restart the website SisenseWeb.