Connecting to Microsoft Excel Using the ElastiCube Manager
Applicable to Sisense on Microsoft Windows
Note: This topic describes how to import data through the desktop ElastiCube Manager. It is recommended that you import data through the online Sisense Web Application. For information, click Connecting to Excel.
Sisenser enables easy and quick access to tables contained within Excel spreadsheets.
You can add multiple Excel files to your ElastiCube. A typical use case for importing multiple files is when you want to split a large file into multiple smaller files.Note: Click here to see tips on how to prepare your Excel files before adding them to your schema in the ElastiCube.
To connect to Microsoft Excel:
- Click Add Data in the top menu of Sisense.
- Under the Files category select Microsoft Excel File.
- In the window that opens, locate the Excel file.
- Select the Excel file and click OK.
- In the window that opens, you have the following options:
- Fetch cells from: You can fetch cells from either a sheet or a named range (provided you have named ranges in your file).
- Available Sheets: Select a sheet contained in the spreadsheet.
- Range: Select a Static Range or Take range from whole sheet.
For a Static Range, enter two cells, each with a leading $ sign and a colon as a delimiter. Hit Enter to preview the selection. Selecting Static Range option enables you to select a specific range of data in the sheet. Data needs to be in a table structure, starting at the top left cell of the range, with field names as the first row.
For a static range between cells A1 and E10, type in $A1:$E10
Selecting whole sheet will import all data within the sheet. Data within the sheet needs to be in a table structure starting at the top left corner (cell A1) with the field names as the first row.
- Preview: Shows a preview of data contained in the sheet.
- First Row Contains Field Names: Enables you to specify table column names based on the header in the first row of the spreadsheet.
- Click Select multiple files… to import multiple files.
Note: Make sure that all the files adhere to the same structure, including the presence or absence of headers in the first row. Files will be added to the table based on their file names in alphabetical order.
Select the Select folder to import option. All the Excel files in the folder are added to the selected files list.