Connecting to QuickBooks Online
Note: This topic describes how to import data using the online Sisense Web Application. To import data through the desktop ElastiCube Manager, click here.
The Sisense QuickBooks Online connector is a standalone connector that allows you to import data from the QuickBooks Online API into Sisense. After you have downloaded and installed the connector, you can connect to Quickbooks Online API through a connection string you provide Sisense in Sisense. The connection string is used to authenticate users who connect to the QuickBooks Online API. To obtain a connection string, you will need to create a QuickBooks Online app.
Once you have connected to QuickBooks Online, you can import a variety of tables from the QuickBooks Online API.
This page describes how to install the QuickBooks Online connector, how to connect to QuickBooks Online with a connection string, and what tables you can import into Sisense:
- Installing the QuickBooks Online Connector
- Connecting to the QuickBooks Online REST API
- Adding QuickBooks Online Tables to your ElastiCube
- QuickBooks Online Tables
Sisense provides the Quickbooks Online connector as a standalone connector that you can download and add to your list of default Sisense connectors.
To install the QuickBooks Online connector:
- Download the Quickbooks Online installation file.
- Open the installation file and click Install.
- After the installation process is complete, click Close.
The Quickbooks Online connector is displayed in Sisense under Add Data > Web Services.
To access Quickbooks Online’s REST API from Sisense, you must provide valid Oauth Quickbooks Online credentials. These credentials are provided by Quickbooks Online when you create an application.
Creating an App
You can follow the steps below to create an app and obtain the OAuth client credentials, the consumer key and consumer secret. You will need to create an Intuit developer account if you do not already have one.
- Log in to http://developer.intuit.com.
- Click My Apps > Create New App > Select APIs. Select the Accounting API.
- On the Settings tab, define the Launch URL.If you are making a desktop application, set Launch URL to http://localhost/.For a Web application, set Launch URL to a page you would like the user to be returned to after they have granted your application permissions.
Once you have created the app, you will be redirected to a page with information about your app. The Development tab contains your Sandbox credentials and the Production tab contains credentials for use with a production account. The consumer key and consumer secret are displayed on the Keys tab.
Sisense uses connection strings to connect to Quickbooks Online and import data into Sisense. Each connection string contains a authentication parameters that the data source uses to verify your identity and what information you can export to Sisense.
The following parameters are mandatory for Quickbooks Online:
- CallbackURL: The OAuth callback URL to return to when authenticating. This value must match the callback URL you specify in your app settings. Set this to http://localhost.
- InitiateOAuth: Set this to GETANDREFRESH. You can use InitiateOAuth to avoid repeating the OAuth exchange and manually setting the OAuthAccessToken connection property.
- Timeout: The value in seconds until the timeout error is thrown, cancelling the operation. Set to 0 to disable time outs.
- CompanyId: Set this to the ID of the company you want to connect to. You can retrieve the CompanyId by pressing the following in Quickbooks Online:
PC: CTRL + ALT + ?
MAC: CTRL + Option + ?
The following is an example of a Quickbooks Online connection string:
If you have any issues connecting to your data source, see Troubleshooting JDBC Data Connectors.
To add Quickbooks Online data:
- Sisense, click Add Data and then, Quickbooks Online. The Connect to Quickbooks Online window is displayed.
- In Datasource Connection String, enter your connection string.
- Click Connect to Server. Quickbooks Online is displayed in the Select Database list.
- Click OK. Sisense connects to Quickbooks Online and displays a list of tables available for you to import.
- Select the relevant tables and click Add.
The tables are displayed in Sisense.
The Sisense Quickbooks Online connector allows you to import the following tables into Sisense.
|Accounts||Query QuickBooks Accounts.|
|BillLineItems||Query QuickBooks Bill Line Items.|
|BillPaymentLineItems||Query QuickBooks Bill Payment Line Items.|
|BillPayments||Query QuickBooks Bill Payments.|
|Bills||Query QuickBooks Bills.|
|BudgetDetails||Query QuickBooks BudgetDetails.|
|Budgets||Query QuickBooks Budgets.|
|Class||Query QuickBooks Classes.|
|CompanyInfo||Retrieve information about the QuickBooks company.|
|CreditMemoLineItems||Query QuickBooks Credit Memo Line Items.|
|CreditMemos||Query QuickBooks Credit Memos.|
|Customers||Query QuickBooks Customers.|
|Departments||Query QuickBooks Departments.|
|DepositLineItems||Query QuickBooks Deposit Line Items.|
|Deposits||Query QuickBooks Deposits.|
|Employees||Query QuickBooks Employees.|
|Entitlements||Retrieves QuickBooks Entitlements.|
|EstimateLineItems||Query QuickBooks Estimate Line Items.|
|EstimateLinkedTransactions||Query QuickBooks Estimate Line Items.|
|Estimates||Query QuickBooks Estimates.|
|InvoiceLineItems||Query QuickBooks Invoice Line Items.|
|InvoiceLinkedTransactions||Query QuickBooks Invoice Line Items.|
|Invoices||Query QuickBooks Invoices.|
|Items||Query QuickBooks Items.|
|JournalEntries||Query QuickBooks Journal Entries.|
|JournalEntryLineItems||Query QuickBooks Journal Entry Line Items.|
|PaymentLineItems||Query QuickBooks Payment Line Items.|
|PaymentMethods||Query QuickBooks Payment Methods.|
|Payments||Query QuickBooks Payments.|
|Preferences||Query QuickBooks Preferences. The Preferences table contains settings for company-wide preferences, which affect all users.|
|PurchaseLineItems||Query QuickBooks Purchase Line Items.|
|PurchaseOrderLineItems||Query QuickBooks Purchase Order Line Items.|
|PurchaseOrders||Query QuickBooks Purchase Orders.|
|Purchases||Query QuickBooks Purchases.|
|RefundReceiptLineItems||Query QuickBooks RefundReceiptLineItems.|
|RefundReceipts||Query QuickBooks RefundReceipts.|
|SalesReceiptLineItems||Query QuickBooks Sales Receipt Line Items.|
|SalesReceipts||Query QuickBooks Sales Receipts.|
|TaxCodes||Query QuickBooks Sales Tax Codes.|
|TaxRates||Query QuickBooks Tax Rates.|
|Terms||Query QuickBooks Terms.|
|TimeActivities||Query QuickBooks Time Activities.|
|Transfers||Query QuickBooks Transfers|
|VendorCredits||Query QuickBooks Vendor Credits.|
|Vendors||Query QuickBooks Vendors.|
|184.108.40.206||March 16, 2017||General connector enhancements|
|220.127.116.11||March 09, 2017||Minor bug fixes|
|18.104.22.168||January 16, 2017||General release|