Creating Custom Live Table Queries
Applicable to Sisense on Linux and Microsoft Windows
Sisense enables you to manipulate live data directly from within Sisense by running custom SQL queries against the live data source, without modifying the data in the original data source. For example, you can do the following:
- Create calculated fields
- Limit table scope (using the WHERE function)
- Create Union tables
Once you defined custom fields or tables against the Live data source, these fields or tables have all the functionality of regular tables that reside within the Live data source.
- Custom Live table queries are calculated against the live data source upon query. No data is stored within the Sisense application.
- Custom Live table queries have no limitation on their complexity. Performance is bound to the capabilities of your data source.
- To enable Data Designers to create custom live table queries, the Sisense Administrator must first activate the Live Queries option in the Admin page under Feature Management. The ability to create custom queries can be turned on and off as necessary, so as not to overload the data source at particular times.
To add fields or Setables with custom live table queries:
- In the Connect Wizard, click + by Add Table Query at the bottom of the list of tables and views. An empty custom table is added to the list, and the Settings area opens.
OR When previewing an existing table, click Edit Query to modify the custom query.
In the Settings area, enter or modify your custom SQL query.
(Optionally) Give a descriptive name to your query.
Click Parse to verify your query syntax before saving the query.
Click Done to apply the live table query to the live data source.