Creating Custom Live Table Queries
Sisense allows you to manipulate live data directly from within Sisense by running custom SQL queries against the live data source, without modifying the data in the original data source. For example, you can do the following:
- Create calculated fields
- Limit table scope (using the WHERE function)
- Create Union tables
Once you defined custom fields/tables against the Live data source, these fields/tables have all the functionality of regular tables that reside within the Live data source.
- Custom Live table queries are calculated against the live data source upon query. No data is stored within the Sisense application.
- Custom Live table queries have no limitation on their complexity. Performance is bound to the capabilities of your data source.
- To enable Data Designers to create custom live table queries, the Sisense Administrator must first activate the Live Queries option on the system level. The ability to create custom queries can be turned on and off as desired, so as not to overload the data source at particular times.
To add fields/tables with custom live table queries:
- In the Connect Wizard, click + by Add Table Query at the bottom of the list of tables and views. An empty custom table is added to the list, and the Settings area opens.
OR When previewing an existing table, click Edit Query to modify the custom query.
In the Settings area, enter or modify your custom SQL query.
(Optionally) Give a descriptive name to your query.
Click Parse to verify your query syntax before saving the query.
Click Done to apply the live table query to the live data source.